Verona - a small but very cozy town, which is considered one of the most beautiful in the world. The city preserved cultural and historical monuments, historic sites and beautiful places that can turn a walk into a magical and truly fascinating journey.
Back to contents
The famous Verona Arena is located on the Piazza Bra - the main city square. In size it is the third ancient amphitheater, which was built in the era of ancient Rome. Historians of this building dates back to the year 30 AD: While the structure consisted of 4 elliptic rings and was lined with pink and white limestone. Today, its facade is made of brick, stone and river pebbles. Amphitheatre in Verona in 2000, was listed as a World Heritage Site, which is under UNESCO protection.
About 2 thousand. Years ago on the stage of the amphitheater that houses the more than 30 thousand. Man held gladiator fights, differing cruelty, circus performances and sea battles, navmahii. Even in those days we began to be created today's attractions of Italy. Tragically, a strong earthquake that occurred in 1117, almost completely destroyed the outer walls of buildings. But even then the role of the arena has not diminished: in the Middle Ages in the arena staged jousting tournaments, festivals, demonstrations of execution of heretics, as well as fighting bulls, which Italy can boast to this day.
In the 20th century, the amphitheater was one of the main areas of Verona, which arrange opera performances annually attracts more than half a million spectators. The first performance was "Aida" by Giuseppe Verdi, which has become a kind of calling card of the theater scene. Since that time, there were many legendary artists such as Luciano Pavarotti, Maria Callas, Renata Tebaldi, Placido Domingo and other stars of world scale. In the arena held concerts pop stars. Quite recently, the amphitheater has a capacity of 20 thousand. Viewers, but now, for security reasons, it is reduced by as much as 5 thousand. Due to the amphitheater and other less well-known attractions of the city visited by thousands of tourists.
Back to contents
Roman ancient theater
Roman antique theater is located in the territory of Verona, on the hill of San Pietro. This building was built in the late 1st century AD. Today, perfectly preserved Cave with steps, skene, lined with brick and orhestry with places for important spectators. Directly in front of the stage proscenium located behind which was located at the time the curtain. Kavei width - 105 meters, while it is "based" on a hill, and on the sides of the walls is maintained. In ancient times it was on the 3 large terraces.
Today, in their place stands the famous castle of Castel San Pietro. Roman ancient theater was decorated with semi-columns that have a different style on each floor on the first floor, it was a Tuscan style, the second - the Ionic, and the last adorned the pillars. It is noteworthy that the attraction is the ancient theater and Roman amphitheater of Verona - is often confused.
The theater is located very close to the river Adige, which is why he has repeatedly suffered from severe flooding, which led to the fact that in the Middle Ages, the whole area was covered with it, and built up buildings. Once the territory of the Roman antique theater, even the residence of Theodoric, king of the Ostrogoths. Only in 1830 the theater began to return to life: dilapidated buildings, which were built on the site of the scene, were completely demolished, he carefully dug out the amphitheater, and numerous arches and sweeping staircase restored. On the hill of San Pietro in 1851 they found the remains of an ancient temple, crowning the structure of the theater. "Novootkryvatelem" it became a rich merchant Andrea Monga, who bought the area and ordered her to carry out excavations. In 1904, all the land on which the building became the property of the town.
It is worth noting that the whole Northern Italy does not have a grand theater.
To date, close to the ancient theater stands the monastery of San Girolamo and the Church of Syrah and Liberia, which was rebuilt in 10 th century. Saint Cyr - the first Christian priest of the city, who secretly performed the liturgy in the theater building.
Back to contents
The famous Gavi Arch
Gavi Arch was designed by Lucius Vitruvius Tserdona in the second half of the 1st century. His name was in honor of the arch type of Gavia, who was considered one of the most notable in those days. In the Middle Ages, this arch was in the city wall and used as the main entrance to the city. Verona This wall was surrounded by a decision of the City Council. In the 16th century, the arch were added various buildings - shops and artisan shops. During the Renaissance, architects and artists took the Arch of Gavi, a model of the classical style in the construction of churches, chapels and chapels, which is rich in all of northern Italy.
In 1805, when the whole of Italy was invaded by Napoleon, the arch is completely disassembled to facilitate access to the city by the French troops. The stones of the monument were placed first in Piazza Cittadella, and later moved to the Verona amphitheater. In 1814, for the installation of a new road was dismantled and bottom of the column and the base of the arch, which remained in the same place. The historical monument was restored in 1932, surviving materials and installed near the place where it was originally located, near the Castle of Castelvecchio.
In the arch of Gavi, only 1 flight. The facades are decorated with semi-columns arches, and the doorway is decorated with a decorative frieze with beautiful floral ornament. The height of structures - 12 m 69 cm. The facade looks onto Via Posthuma. The pedestal of the arch is made of 4 blocks of limestone, columns - of 11 blocks, and the entablature and attic took only 3 blocks. In the side niches of buildings once stood statues of Gavi family members. An interesting detail: just below the arch you can see a fragment of the pavement roads are built in ancient Rome.
Italy would have lost a lot of tourists, not having such a magnificent arch.
Back to contents
Three arches Scaligero
These arches were located near the church of Santa Maria. Scaliger Tombs are tombstones in a Gothic style medieval rulers of the three kinds of Scaligeri, who were in power in the 13-14 centuries. The arches were made on the model of the hanging sarcophagus Guglielmo di Castelbarco, which was built in 1320. Today, the sarcophagus can be seen near the church Anastasia.
At the entrance to the church of Santa Maria is a copy of the arch Kangrande I, which is designed as a tabernacle - the open tower-shaped extension. The original arch Kangrande I kept in a large museum of Castelvecchio. The author of this creation is unknown, but many critics believe that the arch was built by Giovanni Regina. Kangrande I considered the greatest kind of Scaligeri it on the tombstone is depicted in two positions: sitting on the horse and lying in the arms of death. This tombstone is one of the most outstanding examples of Italian sculpture of the 14th century. These attractions are among the most famous in Verona.
The second arch - Mastino II. This building is decorated with numerous figures of saints and angels, and the Mastino is depicted on the Arch of sitting on a horse and dressed in armor. The construction of the arch was begun during the life of the governor, while he died in 1351.
Last arch, arch Kansinorio, was built in 1375 by craftsmen from Bologna Bonino da Campione and Gaspare Broaspini has a hexagonal shape and decorate it twisted columns. On the faces of the tombstones have bas-reliefs and sculptures, and on top is a statue of Kansinorio.
By the end of the 16th century, the arch Scaligero come to a complete desolation. The restoration of the monument was carried out only in 1839. Today, these attractions are collected every year by thousands of tourists.
Not far from the arches located Scaligero disposal of other members of this family.
Back to contents
The world-famous house of Juliet
Perhaps Juliet's house is the most visited attraction of Verona, which is eager to see the thousands of lovers coming from all over the world. This house was built in the 13th century, and thanks to William Shakespeare, the whole world knows it.
Once this house, which is located near the Piazza Erbe, was the property of the Dal Cappello, who became the prototype of the Capulet family. The coat of arms of the family in the form of a marble hat can be seen today on the arch that leads to the courtyard. In the 17th century the house was sold, and since then he has repeatedly changed its owners until in 1907 it bought the Verona City Council to organize a museum. By this time, almost dilapidated house and demanded the restoration and repair work.
The municipality for a long time could not find the funds for this, and only in 1936, after the release of the famous film "Romeo and Juliet" by George Cukor, began active work, which were aimed at the transformation of the house into the open tourist site, which can not compare all available Attraction.
Juliet's House, according to Shakespeare's play, gives a romantic view: the facade decorated with a Gothic windows were beautifully framed, underwent renovation and some buildings that overlook the courtyard. Sam yard with Juliet balcony, too, was rebuilt and became very similar to the courtyard of the Cukor film: the column appeared beneath the balcony and battlements. Later on the wall were placed lines from Shakespeare's plays. In 1972, there was a statue of Juliet's bronze, which to this day is very popular among tourists. It is believed that if a person touches the right breast of the statue, then he will be lucky in love.
Restoration work at home made in 1970 and 1990. During the last restoration in the house with the appropriate frescoes and ornaments was recreated the atmosphere and the romance of the 14th century. In 1997, the house of Juliet museum was opened. Today, there you can see a variety of works of art that have been created on the theme of "Romeo and Juliet", a collection of objects and photographs from the film by Franco Zeffirelli: marriage bed, two suits and sketches. Tourists visiting the house of Juliet, left on the walls of a declaration of love. These Shakespearean attractions can compete even with the statue of Liberty.
Back to contents
Translated from the Italian Ponte Pietra means "stone bridge". Ponte Pietra - is an arched bridge, which connects the banks of the river Adige. It was rebuilt almost at the end of the 1st century BC and was originally named Pont Marmoreus. As a result, a large number of renovations due to earthquakes and floods, he received the present name. Once on the bridge took place via postumia leading from Genoa to great pass located in the Alps. In Roman times it was erected like nearby bridge - Ponte Posthuma. The total length of the Ponte Pietra - 95 meters.
At the end of the Second World Ponte Pietra it was blown up by retreating German troops. In 1959 it was restored, with many original pieces was raised from the bottom of the river. Of course, it turned out not to find all the components of the destroyed buildings, so its reconstruction have been used a variety of materials. In addition to the white marble used red bricks that made more picturesque bridge. Due to the attractions of the city got in your list is another magnificent structure survived for hundreds of years. At the time, Ponte Pietra was the only stone bridge in the territory of Verona.
Back to contents
Valpolicella - a picturesque valley, nestled in the neighborhood of Verona. This valley became world famous for the wines «Recioto», «Amarone» and «Ripasso». In the Valley there are many historical and cultural values that are worthy of a visit. Even seeing the sights of the world, this valley will be remembered forever. Tourists like the look cozy little town in medieval style: Pedemonte, San Pietro Inkariano, Negrar, Fumane. In every town it is possible to find not one good winery.
Besides wine, Valpolicella famous local delicacies. For example, aged or fresh cheese "Monte Veronese", which is produced in the hills of Verona, the sausage "risotto al Amarone" or "Soppressa."
Do not be disappointed, and lovers of natural beauty. On the territory of Northern Italy beautiful scenery and landscapes. So, in the town of Molina, who is close to Fumane is a very nice park "Waterfalls of Molina" with hiking trails and picturesque waterfalls.
To reach the valley of Valpolicella is very easy, since it is also Verona and all the people know how to drive.
Back to contents
Verona Cathedral is the main church of the city, and that it is episcopal. Construction of the church in the Romanesque style was begun in the second half of the 12th century. Construction was carried out on the site of the pre-Christian period of two churches that were destroyed by an earthquake in 1117. The new church was completed and consecrated already in 1187. In the 15th century the temple was built out several rooms, which gave him a late Gothic shape. From the original appearance of buildings preserved only entrance portal decorated with winged griffins.
Above the entrance to the cathedral you can see the image of the Virgin Mary who is holding baby Jesus. Another portal is decorated with various scenes from the Old Testament and figures of Roland and Olivier - the knights of the medieval epic. These artistic attractions are known worldwide. It also posted images of ten prophets, the Lord's hands, and the four evangelical symbols. Gothic facade of the cathedral windows are a reminder of the great restoration, carried out in the 14th century. Elements of the Baroque style, located in the upper part of the building was added to in the 17th century. The bell tower, which began to build Michele San Michele in the middle of the 16th century, remained unfinished. Historians point out that it's not all the attractions of the city, which touched the hand of the architect.
Inside the cathedral is Gothic: arches, columns of red marble, vaults with gold stars on a pale blue background. Adorn the side altars and chapels Giovanni Falconetti in the 16th century. There you can see a real work of art: "Assumption of the Virgin Mary" by Titian, "The Entombment" Dzholfino and "Adoration of the Magi", which created Liberale da Verona. Thanks to these creators Italy received undying story.
Near the cathedral is located cloister, which is also made in the Romanesque style. Framed cloister covered two-level gallery of marble. From there you can go to the potter in the manuscripts and the Baptistery, built back in 1123. In the baptistery there are many frescoes and paintings of 13-15 centuries, and is located in the central nave font, carved in the 12th century from a single piece of marble.
Back to contents
Castle of St. Peter
This castle was built on the hill of San Pietro in Verona. Italy is proud of this structure.
Castle of St. Peter stands on the site of an ancient Roman temple. Place for the construction of the castle was not chosen by chance: a scenic hill from which you can see the whole city and the river Adige, it is an excellent strategic point. In Roman times, at the foot of the hill it was built the first fortification, which was conducted with the help of control over crossing over the Adige, and a little later appeared on the opposite shore town later became Verona. All the attractions of the city owe their existence to this structure that gave birth to Verona.
At a time when Italy was under the domination of the Venetian Republic, San Pietro with all of the internal structure was the residence of the military commander. Large restoration works were carried out in the castle in the early 17th century. Numerous facilities have been renovated for the soldiers, extended barracks for infantry that after the restoration can hold up to 460 people.