- Gothic style in the Middle Ages
- The Gothic subculture in the twentieth century
- Create an image
Gothic style of dress is used mainly girls and boys belonging to the youth subculture ready. In fact, they simply copy the fashion that prevailed in Europe in the XVII-XVIII centuries and was called "neo-gothic". The main feature of this image is the total predominance of black.
Modern Gothic fashion has little to do with the clothing worn by the Goths in medieval Europe. We can say that for the emergence of such outfits are responsible crusades. Because to know the time had the opportunity to travel the world, get to know other cultures, to learn something new, she has mastered previously unknown technology, as well as methods for making clothes.
Gothic famous ability to find a beautiful and perfect in a dark and terrible. Homeland of this style is considered to be France; the most extreme form it has acquired in Burgundy. Gothic outfits first appeared in the Middle Ages in Europe just at a time when the unwanted, unlike anyone witch burned at the stake, the people prevailed over the Catholic Church, and the knights were betrayed her lover. Gothic clothing, in fact, as in architecture, precisely because of its beautiful dark, cold and extremely austere beauty.
Gothic style in the Middle Ages
During the time of the appearance of this trend in the clothing company was divided into classes, orders which differ from each other. For example, citizens were not allowed to wear suits or dresses of silk, were banned and long trains, but on the rule of feudal lords, of course, it did not apply. During this period, as evidenced by the experts, Europeans finally learned how to sew, tailors craft became more perfect.
The first gothic notes appeared in military clothes - armored knights. Transformation of the usual fashion started with this decoration. In place of the heavy chain mail it easier and weightless uniforms made of solid steel. Following the new trends in military uniforms, took the modernization and casual wear townspeople. Thus, the Romanesque era differed free sewing, which is also called "rubashkoobraznym." Its successor, Gothic not only introduced the fashion fitting, sophisticated dresses, but given the world almost all currently known variants of cut.
Scientists believe that their final outlines of Gothic costume bought in the XVI century. Men's clothes become short, and there was a clear division of women on the bodice and skirt, which tailors using fabric inserts were larger. Sewed dresses for the ladies with a deep front and back neckline, long sleeves, slightly tapered downward. Clothes of that time was characterized by the following elements: sharp stand-up collars and cuffs themselves sleeves, boots with outstretched noses, the length of which could reach as much as 50 centimeters, hats with sharp angles. Initially things were made of bright fabric, often velvet (it is later hallmarks of the Gothic style will be dark shades).
While men wore two kinds of costume - long and loose, as well as short and narrow. The second option was more than popular among the younger population. Since the beginning of the XIV century medieval fashion designers introduced into purpuen - short jacket with narrowed or hanging down to the floor sleeves, which was combined with the pants-stockings. The representatives of noble families also sewed kotardi - narrow caftan. A second kind of clothing served blio - whiling away the jacket up to the waist with wide floors.
Raincoats while is an ordinary piece of cloth, folded and cross-linked at the sides, with a hole cut out for the head. This garment was called scapular, and if it existed slits for hands or do the sleeves, then it was called surcoat.
As for women's clothing, it consisted of kameez and Cotto. The latter was a kind of dress with a narrow top and wide skirt, which ties up with the help of back and side lacing. Thalia made elongated, and stomach draped cloth. An essential attribute of the female attire was considered trail, though it was indicative of the length of the ladies of nobility. At the head of the girls wore "two-horned" bonnets, or cake, which resembled a tube, made of fabric, expanding downward and with the cut in the top of the head.
Thus, the main elements of the medieval Gothic wardrobe were pointed toes of her shoes and hats, narrow waist high lacing, a very long train, made in the form of teeth edge outfits. And men - tight at the feet of pants that were more like women's stockings.
The Gothic subculture in the twentieth century
In the twentieth century, the emergence of such sentiments due to the fall in the late '70s pop punk style both in music and in clothing. The Revolution, which sought to boys and girls at the time, did not succeed, so rebellious mood gradually changed decadent youth. Now, the principle of "live fast as the last time, and die young" does not fit anyone else, except only those who really have nothing to lose.
Initially, the latter-day Goths practically no different from the punks - they wore the same hairstyle, accessories, prefer black clothing. However, new groups that appeared in the musical Olympus, formed a solid wall that separates one from the other youth subculture. The most important first idol "neogotov" became the group called «Joy Division».
Gradually, the appearance of representatives of the subculture became increasingly clear outline. Young people are immersed in mourning for the life of, in their opinion, the suffering and the pain suffered his fortune on clothes, picking outfits only dark shades. Chance of walking and began hanging out of the cemetery.
Another aspect, which is considered by historians of fashion, had a direct impact on the formation of the Gothic style - sadomasochism. It was thanks to him that the followers of this subculture began wearing leather outfits with studs, metal fittings, collars, and the like. Many Goths in their intimate life practiced rough sex, smashing, thus expressing their anguish through physical suffering.
There are many subtypes of the subculture:
- antique Goths;
- Victorian and others.
However, all of them have underscored the grim aristocratic style, love of art, and depressive moods.
Create an image
You should understand that to dress like a goth at heart and to be such - two completely different things. After all, this subculture is not only consists of certain orders - it's a whole way of life which are its members. However, if the front will have some sort of costume celebration or, for example, Helluin, then why not for a while to change the image? To choose the right costume Follow these guidelines:
- Your attire should be in the black if the shade does not suit you, give preference to dark crimson or purple. As for the material, then a good choice would be velvet or leather, lace or silk, also pay attention to Lurex, vinyl, brocade, taffeta and organza.
- Goth girl have to be in a corset, which is worn over a dress or a shirt. He not only visually narrow down your figure, but also give it a very seductive shape. Also suitable leather pants, maxi-skirt or midi. Outerwear ready - it's only long coats.
- Men belonging to this subculture, often look quite feminine, so they can dress in exactly the same clothes ladies. Naturally, to put on a dress or a corset is not necessary, but wearing a skirt is not forbidden. Also relevant are leather pants, black shirt, coat the floor or a long robe.
- Both boys and girls, goths wear dark shoes massive high, similar to the "Grinders". Pick army boots or heavy shoes on the platform, the ladies can do on a wide-heeled shoes.
- The Gothic style is to use only silver accessories made of alloy or non-precious metals. The fact that the white color symbolizes the cold light of the moon and perfectly underlines lugubriousness robes ready, and the pallor of their faces. Pick jewelry such as crosses, pendants with skulls and dragons, spiders and cats, massive silver rings and large chains, leather bracelets. On the neck, you can wear a collar with metal spikes, and his face would be appropriate to the piercing. Girls are also suitable small elegant hat with a dark veil and fishnet gloves.
- Many Goths prefer black backpack huge. They can be decorated with studs, all sorts of stripes, colored paint stained or slightly torn.
- One of the main components of the Gothic image - makeup. The most important thing to do - to emphasize the whiteness of your skin. To do this, use a light foundation and powder, but the blush on should be discarded. Eyes move abundant black liner or a special pencil, and to great effect can be applied to the eyelids dark shadows. Nakraste matte lipstick lip of a mourning color, such as blue, purple or burgundy. Make-up is appropriate in both men's and women's images.
- None of Goth will not leave the street with not made up nails. Pick a dark color varnish, perfect - black. The messy cause the coating, the more colorful you'll look.
When satisfied with the clothes and make-up, pay attention to his hairstyle. Goths welcome long hair, preferably dark colors. However, if you have the light of the nature of hair, you can just repaint it in the color of ash, using a conventional coloring shampoo.
As you can see, change his appearance is not so difficult. The main thing - it is right to choose the appropriate attire and make-up. Another thing - to undergo a change in the shower. But I think you do not need it. Hopefully these tips will help you understand the features of the Gothic style and create the image to which you aspire.