Fill up your collection of indoor plants alive this palm tree? Why not? Potted palms - unpretentious plants, care for them is not so difficult, and how effectively it will look this tree in the house, and say no. However, they have one drawback - too large room palm grows.
But they reach their size as giant will not soon. So enjoy the view of a small and neat palmochki you will be long. The case for small - to choose the right kind of palm trees and learn to take care of it. All kinds of potted trees are divided into two main groups (in the form of leaves): peristolistnye (dates, coconut, chamaedorea, Hove) and veerolistnye (trahikarpus, hamerops, palm Livistona). What are they like?
The date palm (Phoenix Rod) has already seventeen species. In the wild growing mainly in Africa and India. And that's actually a popular home-palm "date palm" in the wild and there. This columnar tree with "shaggy" trunk grows over time, the ceiling! The leaves had dark green, pinnate, curved arc able to achieve a six-meter lengths. By the way, this palm is easy to grow from bone dried dates, which is sure to sprout in the usual flower pot (though the time it will take much). Yes, and more or less decorative appearance this tree will get only five to seven years.
Therefore, for indoor cultivation is more suitable date palm fruits with inedible - date shy. This is a low (two meters) ornamental tree with lush foliage, elegantly curved leaves and a fixture of palm - "shaggy" barrel (and sometimes with multiple trunks).
Areca - Beautiful palm tree, came to us from the tropical forests of India. It has a flexible trunk, ringed variety of characteristic scarring (remnants of petioles). A krone areca - a powerful beam of feathery leaves on the "top" of the barrel. The room conditions it grows up to two meters in height, and the leaves reach its meter length.
Trahikarpus considered the most adapted to the conditions of a variety of indoor potted palms. It is a palm tree with a direct "bottle-" trunk and huge fan leaves-webs. It is noteworthy that trahikarpus blooming fragrant white or yellow flowers, and even gives the fruit - blue-black berries. The two most famous of its kind: trahikarpus Martius and trahikarpus Fortune.
Complementing the indoor varieties of palm trees and race Iscariot. This amazing tree looks very different from their counterparts' palm tribe. " Unique palm leaves that are shaped like an elongated triangle like the wide end is specifically, but carelessly broken. Moreover, it is the fastest growing tree from all indoor palm trees, but lives it is relatively short - about twenty years.
Coconut tree - not the best option for home cultivation. It is very, very light-requiring, and therefore more suitable for winter gardens and greenhouses. At room conditions usually contain only coconut and coconut nucifera Veddelya. For the home cultivation of palm trees are ideal such as the Belmore and Hove Hove Foster all kinds hamedorei, palm Livistona, hamerops squat.
Conditions of detention
Almost all rooms palms require the same conditions. Most of them first of all need a spacious room. Because even if your palm is not yet achieved its impressive size, it does not tolerate close proximity to other potted flowers, as in fact it is a single plant.
Like any potted plants, palm needs proper lighting, comfortable temperature and sufficient humidity.
- Lighting. Palm plant light-loving - they need a bright, but always scattered light, so the room where it will be kept your palm should be not only spacious, but also light. Direct sun palms tolerate hard, so it will have on them pritenyat.
- Temperature. Palm trees tropical plants (areca, Iscariot, coconut, chamaedorea). So, you know, they need the room with warm air. However, the palm trees, which grow wild relatives in the subtropics (braheya, hamerops, trahikarpus, Washington) for the winter is better to swap the premises with cool air. What is similar to all, without exception, palm trees, so it is in fear of drafts. And they need to be protected from the cold roots. Therefore, tubs and pots with these heat-loving trees can not be put on the cold floor or windowsill.
- Air humidity. Palm moisture-loving plants. They barely tolerate dry air and need constant spraying, especially in hot weather. In order to alleviate the suffering of these tropical creatures, they should not be sprayed, but take it only warm water and moisten the leaves on both sides.
How to care for a palm tree?
Such a houseplant as a houseplant Palma addition of suitable conditions and needs more burdensome, but regular care. How to take care of it? Basic care for the potted palm trees reduced to proper watering, timely transplanting, feeding and protection from disease.
Watering. In the summer - daily and abundant in the winter - a moderate. In general, irrigation frequency and intensity directly related to the air temperature. The hotter it is, the more often and generously pour palm. However, waterlogging is also undesirable for her. Land in a tub with a flower to be wet all the time, but only slightly.
Transplanted trees as they grow. Young and actively growing trees - each year, more adult - less. The need for transplantation is determined by the narrowness of the pot. From became a small palm tree flower pots are transplanted in the spring in a large bowl of cylindrical shape. The new pot should be at the same time quite a bit more than before. Samu transplant produced by the general rules of indoor flower.
Like other potted plants trees should be fed. Young or newly transplanted trees in the first six months do not need fertilizing. Adults palms fertilize the period of active growth (March-September) once a week. Fed their usual flower fertilizer according to package directions.
As you can see, unpretentious palm bedroom self-care requires almost minimal. If you properly care for her, then match your palm will not. However, such troubles are not yet excluded. So-called diseases of indoor palm trees:
- Brown (dry), the tips of the leaves. The reason - the dry air, lack of watering. Treatment - regular watering, spraying, pruning of dried-up tips.
- Yellow foliage. The reason - insufficient watering.
- Rusty spots on the leaves. The reason - the soil moisture, watering hard water, a sharp drop in temperature.
- Drying of young leaves. The reason - the excess of sunlight. Treatment - pritenenie plants.
- Cessation of growth. The reason - too cold and damp room, lack of nutrients. Treatment - moving the plant in a warm place, dressing.
- Drying of lower leaves. The natural process. Such leaves are simply removed, carefully cutting off from the trunk.
Here's an interesting palm flower room - a spectacular, large and undemanding plant. A little piece of tropical forest in the tub.