St. Petersburg - a city of legend, mystery city, town, causing emotions of every persuasion, but not indifference. It is located in north-west Russia, with one of its outer sides washed by the Gulf of Finland and from the inside, like the veins and capillaries permeate the city rivers and canals. The brainchild of Peter the Great - the most northern city in the world, with a population of over one million people. This city has been celebrated in literature and has played a significant role in the fate of Russia, and his own fate epic, full of drama and sometimes just fantastic stories.
Back to contents
Attractions in St. Petersburg: the main places
The city and its historic center - is one big tourist attraction, protected YuNESKO.Syuda does not stop the flow of tourists, but to explore for a few days it turns out only a very small portion of all those cultural and historical sites that abound in the city.
To list all the attractions in St. Petersburg, you need a lot of time, so here are just some of the most important of them is strongly recommended to attend to all those who take on a momentum happiness at least once to be in the former imperial capital of one of the strongest powers in the world.
Back to contents
The palace complex
Until the revolution of 1917 - this is the official winter residence of the Russian tsars, built in 1754-1762. designed by BF Rastrelli in the style of the Elizabethan baroque. Beautiful skyline form the Winter Palace and Palace Square. It is here that is one of the largest cultural-historical and art museums in the world, and Russia - the Hermitage. It occupies five buildings standing along the embankment of the Neva River.
The Mikhailovsky (Engineers') Castle
Built in 1797-1801 years. architect Vasily Bazhenov in the classical style. Customer construction made by Paul I, born in the standing before this place a wooden Summer Palace Elizabeth and strangled his subjects in a few days after settling into a new castle. Mikhailovsky Castle is named after the patron saint of the Romanov dynasty of the Archangel Michael, and the second name of the building was strengthened after since 1823 there is the master engineering school. Legend has it that the castle was haunted Emperor Paul.
Yusupov Palace on the Moika
This palace, designed in a classic style and built in the last quarter of the XVIII century by JB Vallin de la Mothe, experienced five generations of the richest princely family Yusupov. There, in December 1916, in one of the cellars of the Palace, with the assistance of Felix Yusupov and his accomplices he was killed Grigory Rasputin. Currently, visitors discover the historical rooms, ceremonial halls and a home theater where performances are held periodically and musical evenings.
The building is in the style of New Baroque is located on the intersection of the Fontanka River and Nevsky Prospekt. The palace was built by architect A. Stakenschneider in the 1847-1848 biennium. and during the years 1860-80. considered one of the most secular places of the city. Here, to the hostess cabin Princess Kochubey flowing the whole world, including prominent figures of the time and members of the imperial family. In XX century interiors of the palace is almost not affected.
Made by architect Antonio Rinaldi in the classical style, in the 1768-1785 biennium. During the construction have been used different types of marble, and the facades are faced with natural stone. Originally the palace was intended favorite of Catherine II, Count Grigory Orlov, but he died in 1783 before construction was completed. In the XIX-XX centuries the palace was the residence of the grand dukes Konstantinovichi of the Romanov dynasty. Before the eastern façade of the palace is a monument to Alexander III.
Back to contents
Pushkin Apartment Museum on the Moika
It is part of the All-Russian Pushkin Museum and tells the story of the last months of the life of the poet. In this house the family rented an apartment with Pushkin September 1836 Among the other exhibits in the museum are portraits of real and personal belongings of Pushkin and his family members, including the poet desk, sofa, where he died in January 1837 and posthumous mask, made by the sculptor SI Galberga.
Central Naval Museum
It is among the largest maritime museums in the world and the oldest museums in Russia. Since 2011, the exposition is located on the area of Labor, building Kryukov (Marine) barracks built by architect Ivan blueberries in 1844-1852 gg .. The history of the museum began in 1709, when Peter I was established storage ship drawings and models. Later collection is constantly updated, and is now in the museum you can see a model of military aircraft and ships, including ships that participated in the 1917 coup One of the branches of the museum - the famous cruiser "Aurora".
Museum of Akhmatova
Here, on the banks of the Fontanka River, in the south wing of the Sheremetev Palace, built in Baroque style designed by S. Chevakinsky, the poet lived for a long time. Akhmatova Museum opened in this building in 1989. Currently, the museum's collection is about 50 thousand. Pieces, including the publication of Akhmatova, manuscripts and photographs of the poet and its contemporaries, the book edition of the Silver Age writers with their autographs and more.
The State Russian Museum
It has the most extensive collection of Russian art in the world. Mikhailovsky Palace - the main building of the museum and its branches located in the Stroganov and Marble palaces, as well as in the Mikhailovsky Castle. To the museum complex is House of Peter I, Summer and Mikhailovsky Gardens. The museum displays objects of decorative and folk art, and a collection of paintings can be seen such famous works as "The Last Days of Pompeii" by Karl Bryullov, "Knight at the Crossroads" by Viktor Vasnetsov, "The Ninth Wave" by Ivan Aivazovsky, "Volga Boatmen "Ilya Repin.
This museum, which was opened in 1971, was dedicated to the 150th anniversary of the writer, situated in the blacksmith Lane, near the Five Corners.
Here the family of Fyodor Dostoyevsky lived from October 1878 here in January 1881 the writer had died. The museum presents the authentic belongings of the writer and his family, given to the museum descendants of Dostoevsky. Periodically, there are exhibitions of contemporary artists, the museum also has an active theater.
Back to contents
Memorials and monuments
Narva Triumphal Arch
Built in 1827-1834 years. in memory of the heroes of the Patriotic War of 1812. This monument is located on an area strikes and is Empire style. In its creation took part architect VP Stasov, sculptors VI Demuth-Malinovsky, SS Pimenov and PK Klodt. Door height is over 30 m, width - 28 m. During WWII the gate significantly affected by bombing and shelling, but were later restored. In 1944, through the arch gate in the city of troops were winning.
The Bronze Horseman
This monument - dedicated to Catherine II, his predecessor Peter the Great. Opening of the monument took place on the Senate Square in August 1782
Equestrian statue of Peter, whose author is a sculptor Etienne Falconet, is made of bronze and the Bronze Horseman, she was named after the poem by Alexander Pushkin.
Pedestal of the monument is the Thunder-stone, solid granite monolith weighing about 2,400 tons, delivery of which the city of St. Petersburg - is another amazing story.
Monument to a height of 11 cm and weighing about 5 kg was installed on the Fontanka, near the 1st Engineer Bridge in November 1994. Not far from this place in the XIX century housed the Imperial College of Law, and his students were reminiscent of the plumage siskin green-yellow uniforms. A popular urban legend tells that in the coloring of the coat and reindeer-fawn hat traditional school students got the nickname "Siskin-fawn." Since the monument was already kidnapped 7 times, but each time it was restored. There is a belief that the make a wish fulfilled when a coin thrown from the bridge, get on a pedestal Siskin-Pyzhik and will be based on it.
The monument to Catherine II
The monument was erected on Ostrovsky Square in 1873 and is a joint effort of the artist MO Mikeshina and sculptors MA Chizhov and AM Opekushin. Catherine is depicted with insignia of royal power in the hands and the Order of St. Andrew on his chest. The pedestal is surrounded by nine prominent figures of Catherine's era, among which there is a general Alexander Suvorov.
Monument to Alexander Pushkin
The monument by sculptor Anikushin and architect VA Petrov was established on the area of the Arts in 1957. The sculpture, together with the pedestal is 90 cm to 7 m. Due to the impressive figure of the poet pedestal rises above the earth, thanks to this wonderful monument It fits into the overall ensemble of the square, which was designed by the architect Carlo Rossi in a classic style.
Back to contents
Churches and cathedrals
Cathedral of the Resurrection on the Blood (Savior on Spilled Blood)
The cathedral was built in 1883-1907 gg. in the Russian style, the project, jointly prepared by the architect A. Parland and Archimandrite Ignatius Malyshev. Griboyedov canal, at the entrance to the Mikhailovsky Garden, on the very spot where the temple now stands, in March 1881 there was an attempt on Tsar Alexander II, in which he was mortally wounded. With all the money going to Russia in order to establish a monument to Tsar-Martyr. The nine temple can accommodate up to 1,600 people, and its height 81 m.
Saint Isaac's Cathedral
This is the largest Orthodox church in St. Petersburg was built by the architect Auguste de Montferrand in 1818-1858 gg. and got its name from St. Isaac of Dalmatia, a day which was born by Peter I. The Cathedral is in late Classicist style and is a unique example of architectural art. Its inner area is more than 4000 square meters. m., and the height - 101 5 m. Wall made of a light-gray marble, and the perimeter tower 112 granite monolithic columns. In the corners and the tops of the gables are the statues by sculptor IP Vitali, representing 12 of the Holy Apostles. From the observation deck, located on the dome of the temple is a beautiful view of the city. The walls and columns of the cathedral retain traces of shells, caught here in the bombing during the Second World War.
The Holy Trinity Alexander Nevsky Lavra
It was believed that on the location of the first and largest Orthodox monastery in the city (the eastern end of Nevsky Prospekt and the intersection with the Neva River Monastyrka) in July 1240 squad Prince Alexander Nevsky defeated in the battle with the Swedes. In honor of this, and of Peter's victories over the Swedes here was in 1710 by Peter I founded a monastery on the initial draft of the architects who worked IE Old and Domenico Trezzini. The monastery has a few famous cemeteries where rest by many prominent personalities XVIII-XIX centuries.
Buddhist temple "Datsan Gunzechoyney"
The construction of this church lasted for 6 years and was completed in 1915. With the construction of the northernmost in the world Buddhist temple architect GV Baranovsky adhere to the canons of Tibetan architecture. Money for the building work going Buddhists throughout the Russian empire, part of the money was obtained by the Dalai Lama XIII and his messenger, the Buryat lama Aghvan Dorzhieva, who asked for the construction of the temple in St. Petersburg. Currently, the temple is valid and stands near the metro station "Old Village".
Peter and Paul Cathedral
This Orthodox church, the tomb of the Russian tsars, is located on Hare Island, the delta of the Neva River, where in 1703 laid the Peter and Paul Fortress, designed to protect the access to the Baltic Sea. On this small island, in fact, began the history of the northern city. The current cathedral was built by the architect Domenico Trezzini Petrine Baroque style in 1712-1733 gg., In the place where before there was a wooden church of the same name. The gilded spire, topped by the figure of a flying angel, is one of the symbols of the city.
Back to contents
Garden and parks
According to the plan of Peter I, a garden, founded in 1704, it had to compete with the most famous parks in Europe for its beauty and splendor. The grille of the Summer Garden, made by architect Yu.Feltena, glorified the city is world-famous. After the reconstruction of 2009-2012. 8 have been recreated from a previously existing fountains and garden sculptures were replaced by replicas made of imitation marble. The original sculpture collections were moved to permanent storage in the museum halls Mikhailovsky Castle.
This urban garden, a sample of landscape art XVIII-XIX centuries, designed by the great Carlo Rossi, adjacent to the main building of the Russian Museum - Mikhailovsky Palace. Mikhailovsky Garden miraculously combines two different styles, the landscape (English) and regular (French), and is a shining example of the architectural unity of the natural landscape and the building (Mikhailovsky Garden and the Palace).
Field of Mars
The sponsors of this area, located in the heart of St. Petersburg - architects IA Fomin and LV Rudnev. In XVIII-XIX centuries there were parades of troops and parades of the city, hence the name of the square. After the Revolution of 1917 there was a memorial to those killed revolutionaries, and in 1957 lit the eternal flame. Not far from the square, facing the Neva River, stands a monument to military commander Alexander Suvorov by sculptor MI Kozlovsky.
Of course, the list of interesting places Peter immeasurably wider, and may not have a lifetime to see all of them, while having the opportunity will not take the time to fully feel the breath of time, history and nearly human soul of this magnificent city.